As a mom of 3 children (ages 2, 4 and 6) I completely understand the sleepless nights that most parents experience. The evenings where the kids are wired and running around when everyone else is ready for bed and those nights where the fussy starts at 2 p.m. and the parents have no idea how they will get through the rest of the afternoon, dinner, bath and bedtime routine.
They often turn to you, the yoga teacher, for help. Looking for ways to calm their child, bring on a relaxed and sleep filled evening.
Yoga can be a great way to encourage children to relax, stay calm and focus. Here are some postures and techniques that you can try in class and encourage families to practice at home.
Set the Mood
- have the kids take a bath (I find mine calm down quicker if I get in there with them for mama snuggles)
- dim the lights
- get rid of all distractions- toys in the area, cell phones, bright lights, etc.
- turn on some soft music if you think that may help (my little ones LOVE music)
Standing Forward Fold (touch your toes!)
- Have your little ones bend over from their hips and reach for their toes. Spend some time hanging out here. Encourage them to let their arms, neck and head to hang lose.
- Have your little ones walk their hands forward from their standing forward fold and come into downward dog. Rest like a quiet dog here. No barking because we don’t want to scare the other doggies!!
- Come sitting down on to the floor either on your knees or your bum. Take one ear over towards one shoulder and rest here for a few breaths. Then take your head over to the other side.
- Sitting on the floor extend one leg long and fold the other leg into a butterfly wing. Reach your fingers down your long leg all the way towards your toes. See if you can kiss your knee and rest here quietly.
Legs Up The Wall
- Find a wall close by and rest your legs up the wall. Make sure your bum is all the way against the wall.
- Come resting onto the floor (or your bed!) like a sleeping star. Feel yourself floating into the sky. You may also want to do some Balloon Breathing.
Sending sleepy vibes your way!